Wednesday, September 4, 2024

The Pyrrhus Project

Lately, my gaming has focused on naval and air battles. I'm feeling a desire to get back to land. I've been debating a "project" and have decided on the Pyrrhic War.

The Inspiration
It started with Little Wars TV, specifically their replay of Actium. This stirred my interest in ancient battles. I wasn't interested in a Roman civil war, however, so I started looking for another conflict.

Again, Little Wars TV provided the answer. A couple of years ago they did a Pyrrhic War campaign. Greek phalanxes vs. Roman legionaries, what's not to love?!

The Project
"Project" is a bit grandiose for my current wargaming approach. It's not like I have to go research and order figures then paint and base them. My armies are close to being ready to go.

Here are my armies, organized as half-sized DBA forces.

Top (L to R) - Pyrrhus's army: cavalry, 3 heavy infantry, 1 light infantry with Pyrrhus in back
Bottom (L to R) - The Romans: also cavalry, 3 heavy infantry, and 1 light infantry

I need to add a stand of Roman heavy infantry. But something else is missing. What could it be?


Oh yeah, Pyrrhus had elephants. I have to have some, but my generic counters won't do. I'll have to make some special elephant counters. I don't plan to make elephant counters for every army. Instead, I'll just make a few and use them as needed.

The Campaign
I'm going to do a mini-campaign based on Pyrrhus's three major battles against the Romans.

Little Wars TV (again) provides some great resources for a Pyrrhic campaign, including scenarios for the battles. I don't think I'll be using those resources, however. I will create random battlefields and will use the half-size DBA armies I mentioned above.

Next Steps
  • Create a red heavy infantry counter. I think I have one printed; I just need to apply it to a base.
  • Finish an elephant counter. I only need 1 for Pyrrhus.
  • Play the first game.

No comments:

Post a Comment