Saturday, August 24, 2024

We Don't Need No Stinking Minis!

 

We don't need no stinking minis!

Welcome to my new blog dedicated to miniature wargaming without miniatures.

A Little History
I began my first blog, Warwell's Wargames, in 2013. At the time, I wanted to get back into miniature gaming after a hiatus where I primarily played video games (World of Warcraft and Elder Scrolls mostly). I used the blog to record my journey.

Well, I went through a lot of back-and-forth regarding miniatures. Back in 2013, I wanted to emulate Bob Cordery's portable wargames. I ordered some 15mm miniatures, aaaand never finished painting them.

I tried a number of different sizes - 10mm, 6mm, 2mm, and 3mm. But I never settled on anything. 10mm and 6mm did not give the big battle look. I had trouble distinguishing troop types with the 2mm. The 3mm were a good compromise, but I just never was able to complete all the factions I wanted.

Mini-less Experiments
Over the years, I experimented with block armies instead of miniatures.
What's what? You got me.

They never took hold of me. The big issue I had was distinguishing troop types.

Things changed in 2023. I was planning a Disney trip and wanted to take a game with me. I put together some counters that looked like this.


I liked them so much that I continued to use them. That's when epiphany struck.

The Epiphany
I realized that I hate miniatures.

Oh, I like to look at them. They are pretty after all. But I hate the whole process of preparing them and then storing them. I hate having to clean up the blocks, prime them, paint them, and base them. I hate having to store them carefully so they don't get broken. I hate that they take up more space than my counters. Hate, hate hate.

If I hate them so much, why bother? My gaming is solo, so my opponent is not going to complain.

The Future
Recently, I was disparaged online for my counters. As a result, I am somewhat cutting ties with my gaming past and going all in on counters. To emphasize this change, I decided to start a new blog dedicated to using counters and other alternatives for miniature gaming.

So here we go. Are you ready to dive into war without miniatures?

5 comments:

  1. I am ready for the new blog. I have always admired what what you are doing with Microbattles and the small gridded boards. Counters or minis is irrelevent - it is all gaming. Keep up the good work. I do like minis but hate painting. Most of my miniatures are from 30--40 years ago when I only disliked painting, or ones subsequently I have bought painted. Part of the reason I am using smaller and smaller tables for solo play is the setting up and packing away. 2'x2' seems large these days! Although for FTF gaming I don't seem to mind larger tables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Welcome to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rather like your block armies … and as far as I can see, they serve your needs and that is all the justification you need for using them. I don’t see any great difference between them and the cardboard counters used in wargames … except that to me they look much, much better than the cardboard counters.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I appreciate the encouraging words.

      Delete
  4. Sorry you were the butt of someone's distemper, some people are just douches and or unaware of how they come across.

    GL going forwards though!

    ReplyDelete